Happy Halloween to all! While I usually serve up healthy recipes, today is all about the tricks, and more importantly, treats. I needed a dessert to bring to a Halloween dinner party tonight and I came across these gory and fun shortbread finger cookies. The original recipe can be found on treehugger. http://www.treehugger.com/easy-vegetarian-recipes/vegan-recipe-creepy-finger-cookies.html
- 2 cups organic flour- 1 ½ garbanzo bean flour ½ tapioca flour
- 1 cup fair-trade powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground flax
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 1 cup vegan non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance works well), softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 cup whole almonds, blanched
- ¼ cup organic raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat
- Mix the ground flax with water and refrigerate until thick
- Stir together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and flax in a medium bowl. In a mixer, combine flour mixture with the margarine and vanilla, until you have a nice cookie dough texture. Chill the dough for 10 minutes.
- Use about 2 teaspoons to form slender fingers. Cookies will spread, so make them long and thin, like your pinky. Use a toothpick to score knuckle wrinkles. Put a bit of jam on the fingertips and press almond fingernails into place, and dip ends in jam for bloody severed effect.
- Chill the cookies for 15 minutes to ensure that they hold their shape when baking. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Once cooled brush almond finger nails with maple syrup for the ultimate witchy effect
Unfortunately I didn’t chill the dough fingers long enough prior to baking and they didn’t retain their shape as well as I had hoped. Lesson learned for next time. Happy Halloween!