Fall is officially here which means that those of us who drool over all things pumpkin flavored have a tendency to crave those delicious fall indulgences. Since willpower is a struggle for many, I have whipped up a satisfying, clean and nutritious sweet potato smoothie. While it may not be your mama’s homemade pumpkin pie, I guarantee it’s pretty darn tasty. Not to mention, post smoothie consumption you’ll still be able to sit upright, keep your pants buttoned and be able to breathe simultaneously. That’s always a fantastic feeling.
- 8 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 small organic sweet potato, skin on (I chose not to cook mine but you can also steam it, skin on, to enhance the flavor to be more reminiscent of pumpkin)
- 1 organic pear (I used bosc but you can also use a sweeter variety if you desire)
- roughly 1 tsp of peeled ginger
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract (preferably alcohol free)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix.
- Sweet potato– high fiber content (7 grams per serving), rich in vitamin A/beta carotene which internally protects the skin from sun damage as well as prevents vision loss, great source of manganese which is a mineral essential to the proper metabolism of carbohydrates, rich in vitamin C and E which play an important role in disease prevention as well as skin and hair health.
- Pear– low glycemic fruit, high in fiber (6 grams in a medium size pear), contains boron which helps retain calcium in the body and prevents osteoporosis, high in pectin which aids in effectively reducing cholesterol levels, rich in vitamins C, K, B2, B3, B6, potassium, and copper which act as antioxidants to fight free radical damage in the body.
- Ginger– clears sinuses, helps with nausea, acts as an anti-inflammatory which helps with arthritis and post exercise muscle soreness, good for migraines, reduces high blood pressure
- Cinnamon– known to stabilize blood sugar, acts as a natural disinfectant, helps to delay the onset of Alzheimer’s, relieves arthritic pain due to anti-inflammatory properties, aids in digestion and weight loss, fights tooth decay.
Now that’s real whole food deliciousness!