Some days we need an energy boost before a tough work out. Unfortunately, many of the energy/protein drinks and bars on the market contain an abundance of synthetic chemicals and are overly processed. Here is one of my favorite smoothies to properly fuel your body in a clean and natural way.
Ingredients (yields 2 servings):
- ½ of a large banana
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 tbsp hempseed
- 1-2 tsp chia seed
- 8 oz of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 frozen packet Sambazon acai (preferably the unsweetened packets if you can find them)
- (*1 tsp raw unfiltered honey- only needed with unsweetened acai packet)
Mix all ingredients in blender or vitamix
- Spirulina- protein queen, endurance, essential amino acids, absorbs quickly by the body, boosts energy
- Hempseed- pure digestible protein, essential amino acids, essential fatty acids, supports immune system
- Chia Seed- essential fatty acids, hydrating (hold 10x their weight in water), slows down the conversion of carbohydrates to simple sugars, boosts energy
- Acai- antioxidants, aids in cellular regeneration, low glycemic fruit, vitamin and mineral rich
The above recipe yields two servings. I generally drink one before and one after my work out. Happy blending!