Love Your Body

image

Healthy living isn’t about totally restricting your diet, it’s about balance and making healthy choices 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, it’s ok not to be perfect. A cookie splurge won’t kill you, so don’t be hard on yourself for eating one (or two) on occasion. Remember the 80/20 rule and make conscious decisions to treat your body well for the right reasons- optimal energy, longevity, increased immunity, and vitality. Love your body and not just your image.

Energizing Superfood Cereal

Often times on weekday mornings we find ourselves rushing to get out the door and find little time to eat a nourishing and satiating breakfast.  But as we’ve all heard many times skipping breakfast is terrible for our bodies.  Eating a balanced, nutrient rich meal early in the day properly fuels the body, prevents a midday energy crash, and diminishes the potential for cravings and overeating in the late afternoon and evening. Store bought breakfast cereals are a quick and convenient solution but are generally over processed, void of sufficient nutrients, contain unrecognizable ingredients, have added sugar, and aren’t filling.  Making your own natural and unprocessed breakfast cereal is easy and a super healthy alternative.  This recipe is packed with high quality digestible protein, antioxidants, fiber, healthy fats, and essential vitamins, minerals, and enzymes- including vitamin K, D, B, E, zinc, iron, magnesium, potassium, and calcium.  And if you have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity, this buckwheat cereal is completely gluten-free.  It’s truly an energy powerhouse that will leave you wanting to get out the door and run laps around the block.  And believe me when I say it’s so yummy my friends actually request it!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

superfood cereal ingredients

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups buckwheat
  • 3/4 cup hempseed
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup goji berries
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg

superfood cereal mix

Instructions:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together.  Store in an airtight container and it will stay fresh for at least a few weeks.  To serve, mix 3-4 tablespoons with almond milk (or dairy-free milk of choice), and let sit for about 5 minutes or until the chia seeds and buckwheat are a bit soft.  Add 1/2 of banana, sprinkle some extra cinnamon on top, and dig in!

superfood cereal store for later

Just Let Go

Image

image

The Benefits of Speed Training for Non-athletes

striders               photo via acefitness.org

I have come to love sprints as an excellent form of training for speed, conditioning, and flexibility. Long gone are the days of thinking I need to run a great distance to get a seriously toned lower body, it’s actually quite the opposite. Distance running works slow twitch (type I) muscle fibers while sprinting works fast twitch (type II) muscle fibers which are responsible for enhancing muscle definition. If you want to torch some serious calories with some high intensity interval training (HIIT) and get well-defined lean muscle, read on because sprints should be an integral part of your workout. The benefits of speed training along with a great starter workout can be found here on the ACE fitness website.

10 Health Benefits of Blueberries

image

Blueberries rock! Try them on their own or mixed with other berries, add a sprinkle of cinnamon (controls blood sugar) and some sunflower seeds (excellent source of B complex vitamins) and you have a perfect mid-morning snack.

Real Food Substitutions

Image

image

Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Avocado Pesto

When you need a quick lunch, it doesn’t have to be complicated to be healthy! This is what I threw together today for my midday meal.

lettuce cups

Ingredients

  • Romaine*
  • Micro greens
  • 1/3 Cucumber, peeled*
  • 1/2 Mango
  • Sustainable and Wild caught salad shrimp (found these in the frozen section at Sprouts)
  • Avocado Pesto (had some leftover from a recipe the night before)
    • 1 medium avocado
    • 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    • 2-3 garlic cloves (I prefer 2)
    • 1/4 cup basil
    • 1/2 a lemon, juiced
    • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
    • Fresh ground pepper and Himalayan salt to taste
    • Slowly add up to 1/3 cup of water to achieve desired consistency

Directions

  • Defrost 1 ounce of shrimp by leaving out at room temp for a few hours
  • Blend Avocado Pesto ingredients in a food processor
  • Chop cucumber and mango
  • Prepare lettuce wraps
  • Drizzle Avocado Pesto over wraps

A simple and delicious lunch!

*Use organic ingredients when possible especially for any ‘dirty dozen’ produce.